"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." -Shing Xiong *** "Do not go where the path may lead; instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson *** "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget." -G. Randolf *** "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -E.M. Forster *** "Imagnination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein *** Defintion of Suburbia: A place where they cut down trees and name streets after them. -(Unknown, found on sticker) :p *** "A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." -Winston Churchill***"Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly." -Louis Ginsberg ***"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber



Friday, February 24, 2012

Procrastination Poem (a poem)

Procrastination Poem
Written February 24th, 2012
I do not want to do homework!
Two essays by Monday, you ask
Such a tedious, boring task
On America’s smoggy industrial histories
On top of worksheets full
Of logarithms and matrices
A paper dancing with symbols and numbers
With every new Pre-Calc term I learn
I just feel excessively dumber!

Oh, the hours I waste, toiling away
With headaches and pots of coffee to achieve
Stellar grades on material to be forgotten a year from today
I have great purple mountains
Against prismacolor sunsets on my mind
Visions of summer paradises with sparkling fountains
Begging to be written on any scrap I can find
Fantastical worlds of crystalline imagery
Powerful renditions of a childhood memory

But alas! I have homework!

I do not want to do homework!
Please complete this packet on Edgar Allen Poe
A master of written wonders, he is, I know!
I just took a book of his from the library
To read when I am free
The first to borrow it, since 1993!
Oh yes, do not doubt, I will read Poe
It is not he that is the foe
The endless packet of questions you added is the enemy!
Determined to ruin the experience for me!

Oh I retaliate!
Oh I fall into such distress!
My desire to feed my puppy a textbook, I confess!
Oh, how my heart crumbles
Listening to my pen and notebook cry
Hurt and rejected form neglect
I toss my assigned papers in the air, shouting “why, why, why!”
My future consists of expelling ink
Piles of notebooks full of my poetic muses and what I think
I’ll work to the bone to see them hit the press
My greatest dream, I must confess!

I do not want to do homework!
It drains and kills my precious time
That I could have put into this delicious dream of mine
Yet the more I despair, the more you assign!
Oh, confound you, I’ll run away!
I’ll pack my bags and go without further delay!
I’ll get off the whispering train and settle down
In a quiet, warm, friendly town
With streets full of singing bards, performers, and poets
And great vast libraries with endless collections
Next door to cozy cafés for reading and reflections
Here, I’ll be at home, I know it!

I do not want to do homework,
But the truth is, if you must have it
This rhyme will not make that bottomless backpack go away
This poem is a result of my procrastinating habit
I must buckle down and spend the rest of today
On that accursed homework, dag nabbit!

And alas, my poor notebook must wait on a dusty shelf
Crying and lonely as it spends the whole rainy day by itself   



No comments:

Post a Comment