"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." -Shing Xiong *** "Do not go where the path may lead; instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson *** "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget." -G. Randolf *** "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -E.M. Forster *** "Imagnination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein *** Defintion of Suburbia: A place where they cut down trees and name streets after them. -(Unknown, found on sticker) :p *** "A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." -Winston Churchill***"Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly." -Louis Ginsberg ***"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber



Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Texting Conversation with a Friend (discussion, thoughts)

June 15th, 2011
My friend and I were having a discussion about homosexuality after he said he didn't agree with it, mostly due to, it seemed, his religious beliefs. I do not intend to exploit him or make him look bad by posting about this, I simply wanted to share it. My friend does not, as he said, have a problem with gays and lesbians themselves, as people, but the choice they made. I discussed with him how we think homosexuality comes about; whether it's natural, influenced, or a choice. I think that, depending on the situation, it could be natural or a choice. My friend doesn't think it can be natural. His stance was it is a choice, or if it appears to start from a young age then it was mostly likely influenced by something in the child's life. I think influence can definitely play a huge role, but I believe that there is something in the brain or genetics that can make these influences more, well influential to these certain people than to others. I'm sure there will be lots of scientific studies about this in the future, and I know there are some now even, and I'm anxious to see the results. We also discussed why it was that homosexuality is wrong, based on his beliefs. I would like to share a specific part of the conversation we had. Please feel free to comment on it and leave your thoughts on the subject.

F= friend
M= me

F: The pursuit of happiness isn't always right though, the reason I believe it to be wrong is simply because of the Bible, that's all I need.
M: And this is where my beliefs on tolerance come in... In this day and this society I think it's really important, because everyone is dabbling in new cultures and new beliefs and trying to be different. We're past slavery, past the Holocaust, past witch trials, (at least in this country) and reaching an age of greater understanding. People came to and settled America because they were sick of being oppressed for their beliefs, and thus this country was built on freedom and rights. I believe pursuing a religion is a personal path that you decide, and shouldn't be applied to other people, only to yourself. God is the only one who can judge, yes? And as humans it's our choice to follow what we think will put us on His good side. And the Bible was written by Jesus' apostles? Correct me if I'm wrong, the Bible isn't my forte. But they weren't God. There's no proof they translated His word exactly, and in the end it's up to God to decide, not us. If you've led a truly good life, no matter who you've loved, why would He have any reason to reject you? 
F: Well the Bible says (Jesus speaking) there is no way to the father but by me, meaning that the only way to go to heaven is to believe in God, and I agree that we shoudn't be judging but I believe the only way to go to heaven is to believe in Jesus and that he was the son of god and died for our sins, so why wouldn't I want to tell other people about it? Not judging but informing.
M: There are many different ways of believing in God. Mikey was Christian, and accepted Jesus Christ as his savior. But he was also bisexual.
F: If he truly believed Jesus was God's son and accepted him as his savior, then he is in heavan, but the only one who can truly know the state of his heart is God.

Another thing we didn't discuss, but looking back on the conversation I'd like to touch on, is the part where he said so why wouldn't I want to tell other people about it? Not judging but informing. Personally, I think you should wait to be asked to 'inform' your religious views on another person, or perhaps if you're on the topic of religion in a conversation. Just coming out and saying it can often make the reciever feel as if you're down-playing their beliefs and ideals because the informer thinks they're wrong. Often, these can turn into arguments. I've been in them before, and they're never fun.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I would really like to sit down and have a discussion with you on many subjects :-)
    Many have different views on religion/faith and sexual preferences including myself...I believe like you that everyone has the right to chose their religion/faith and NOT to try and change others to join you...I do not see muslims going door to door to discuss their religion like Jehover Witness do But then I am sure Pagans do not damn you to hell if you do not worship or live by the rules that some churches preach..Over the centuries there has been many wars and arguments about this.....As for sexual preference I believe that what happens behind a closed door between two consenting adults is really only their concern...Just so you know I am straight as we call it...I have had both male and female gay friends not sure if I have known a bi-sexual person but it is not a question I ask...To me they are normal people and I have never had them hitting on me plus some of them go to church and help with charities etc... So does God demand we be how he wants?? I could go on forever and branch out from this in both the religious and sexual preference roads and how it is looked apon so I better stop now....Maybe when I am older and wiser I may change my opinion..... An old Aussie you know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Old Aussie :p lol. But yes I agree with you, what happens between two consenting adults is their business. They do not stick their noses into straight people's business, so why should others stick their noses into gay peoples business? They just want to be in love and live happily like everyone else. If you think it's an abomination, well keep it to yourself, because two men or two woman being together isn't going to affect you and your life negatively in any way. Maybe being in love and being happy means more to them than 'going to hell' after they die. The truth is, we've only got one life to live, and one shot to live it. If we spend our whole lives worrying about what comes after we die, well then we wasted our one chance on this Earth.
    Also, I don't want you to think my friend here is the bad guy. I really do have a lot of respect for him on this subject. Like I said in the beginning, he doesn't have a problem with the people. This person was a friend Mikey's too, and Mikey was bisexual. I could tell sometimes Mikey made him a little uncomfortable, but he was always understanding and considerate and never once started preaching to him. He just doesn't agree with the concept, because in his beliefs union between men and men and women and women aren't accepted by his diety. But you'll never see him yelling at a homosexual couple. He also said in a later conversation; "Hate the sin, love the sinner." I wish all christians could stick to that virtue.
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete