"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." -Shing Xiong *** "Do not go where the path may lead; instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson *** "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget." -G. Randolf *** "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -E.M. Forster *** "Imagnination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein *** Defintion of Suburbia: A place where they cut down trees and name streets after them. -(Unknown, found on sticker) :p *** "A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." -Winston Churchill***"Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly." -Louis Ginsberg ***"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber



Thursday, June 30, 2011

Midnight Mango (a poem)

Midnight Mango
Written June 30th, 2011
There is a fruit, waiting in the fridge
An international treat
That I’m particularly fond
It will call me at midnight to eat

Quite a nuisance to peel and carve
But I smile as I set it on the board
It’s a task I’ve come to enjoy
For at the end is the sweetest reward

I light some incense and settle into bed
Sink my teeth into the first delightful bite
            Sweet refreshing waterfall
                        Crashing across my brain
                                    Filling the senses with bliss
                                                A gentle summer rain
                                                            An orange ocean kiss
I reach for my notebook kept nearby
And after another sample, I begin to write

My pen dances across the page
Set free by the youthful, refreshing taste
Bright soft flesh, succulent with flavor
I don’t let a single bite go to waste

My cure for dreaded writer’s block
A remedy fashioned by gods long ago
It waits for me in the fridge:
My cherished midnight mango

----
A cute quirky little poem... this one was very fun to write :) I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And, if you've never had a mango, I hope this piece inspires you to! You really don't know what you're missing!

6 comments:

  1. <3 you too Faithy-poo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith they grow where I live and in mango season I have had over 100 mangos in my house at once...I also dry them so we can eat dried mangos during the year...They are easy to peel if you cheek and cross them :-) But being so juicy I am not sure I would eat them in bed...I have climbed many mango trees picking them...A nice poem I like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 Mangoes at once!! :0 I might just die of mango bliss!!! I adore dried mangoes! And mangoes in bed at midnight are the best kind of mangoes X) What does cheek and cross mean?
    And thank you!
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay next time you have a mango hold it with the stalk at the top and grab a sharp knife and slice both cheeks off...run the knife down the flatest side of the mango seed...so you end up with sort of two mango halves..the bits left on the mango then I usually eat straight from the seed as you can peel the thin bitsof skin off...Now with the cheeks run the knife though the mango one direction first then across at 90 degrees making one inch squares or smaller DO NOT CUT THROUGH THE SKIN so when you are finished you have a mango cheek with cuts two ways and NOW holding over a plate in both hands :-) at each end push softly with your fingers in the middle of the skin (which should be at the bottom) and as you push up the chek will turn sort of inside out and the little cubes of mango are there ready to eat with NO MESS once you have done it a couple of times it is so easy :-)......PS: processing a 100 mangos and slicing then putting them in the drier is not that much fun...BUT the results are worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheeking and crossing is pretty easy to do once you get the hang of it. The first time I had a mango I was cutting chunks off with a knife and scraping my teeth against the seed..... a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm I shall have to try this! I usually cut one big circle around the whole mango, then twist the two halves off of the pit. Then I cut each half in half and carefully slice the peel from the fruit.
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete