"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." -Shing Xiong *** "Do not go where the path may lead; instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson *** "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget." -G. Randolf *** "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -E.M. Forster *** "Imagnination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein *** Defintion of Suburbia: A place where they cut down trees and name streets after them. -(Unknown, found on sticker) :p *** "A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." -Winston Churchill***"Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly." -Louis Ginsberg ***"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber



Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Steel Darkness (a poem)

Steel Darkness
Written June 29th, 2011
There’s a ’55 Ford Thunderbird
That follows me wherever I go
It’s old and rusty, but it runs like new
And it’s much closer than it was a few years ago
My persistent shadow, hovering nearby
It’s been there as long as I can remember
Trailing behind as I mow the lawn
Idling quietly while I rake leaves in September
Sometimes it snarls with a loud engine rev
And I jump out of my skin
It regards me with bright, stoic headlights
And I sense a tainted, evil soul within
Quiet and menacing, a nightmare on wheels
It used to keep a courteous distance
Now its tires nearly tread on my heels
I try to ignore it, but it loves to test my patience
When I dare to turn and look at it
I can not see the driver through the dark windshield
No one else notices the Thunderbird at my back
I’ve asked it nicely to go away; but it doesn’t yield

It has yet to touch me in any way
But it inches closer every day

I wonder when its hungry black tires will finally claim me.


2 comments:

  1. Nice poem! A very creative way of turning a ghost into a car! Maybe he'll leave you alone later in life? One can only hope...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking more along the lines that the car represents a memory, or perhaps a 'closet skeleton', something from one's past that haunts you. And the more you ignore it the closer it gets, and eventually it will over take you if you do not face it.
    I do enjoy your interpretation though :) This could be interpreted in many ways.
    Thank you for commenting!
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete