"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." -Shing Xiong *** "Do not go where the path may lead; instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson *** "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget." -G. Randolf *** "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -E.M. Forster *** "Imagnination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein *** Defintion of Suburbia: A place where they cut down trees and name streets after them. -(Unknown, found on sticker) :p *** "A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." -Winston Churchill***"Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly." -Louis Ginsberg ***"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber



Friday, February 25, 2011

*The Ocean of Empty Souls (a poem)

The Ocean of Empty Souls

As the bus turns into school
I see the kids on the corner
Smoking their life away
Flirting with the technicalities of law
Where will they be in ten years?
There is the girl in class
One of the smartest in school
But she doesn't participate
Does not debate
Without encouragement
What can you do with your ideas
If you have no drive to put them to action?
I see my father
He gave up his dreams
For me; the accidental stork delivery
He loves me
But had to watch his potential become fantasy
Joining the ocean full of the
     broken
     lost
     forsaken
ambitions of millions

Me, I have so many ideas
So much to say
About the wrongs I see today
Does the voice of one
Have enough power to change the ways
Of millions?
Can I follow through
Or will I live a life
Gray and conformed
With my dreams discarded, relinquished
Into the ocean of empty shells
That were once souls?

1 comment:

  1. To a make a difference to but one person is worthwhile. While one person can only do so much, to do nothing I feel would be a travesty. I think the feeling that you are describing is caused by the view of the individual society made popular in western civilisation. We are actually a group collective, if the collective did not function, society would fail. Think about who made your shoes, the roads, your house, it gives me faith and courage. I thank the wise words of the Dalai Lama for connecting me with this perspective, it inspires and hope and faith in the group. (see my poem a western persepective viewed fom the east, http://soul-snapshot.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete