"In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away." -Shing Xiong *** "Do not go where the path may lead; instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson *** "Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget." -G. Randolf *** "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." -E.M. Forster *** "Imagnination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world." -Albert Einstein *** Defintion of Suburbia: A place where they cut down trees and name streets after them. -(Unknown, found on sticker) :p *** "A lie goes halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." -Winston Churchill***"Love is the irresistible desire to be desired irresistibly." -Louis Ginsberg ***"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware." -Martin Buber



Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hero (a poem)

Hero
written March 16th, 2011

I'm dangling from a ledge
Thirty stores high
Hanging on with one hand
People down below looking to the sky
I hear sirens in the distance
But they won't get here before I fall and land

Tears stream down my face
As my fingers slip
How did I get here
So close to tumbling into space?
No one can help me
Is there anybody out there?
I need a hero today

But there's not a cloud
Up in the heavens
No hero on his way here
With super strength and a cape
Just me, this ledge, and my fear
No help, no escape

I grit my teeth
Pull my free arm up
Grab on with my other hand
Just before the first one fails
Just before I come crashing down to land
Everyone gasps
Pointing up to me

I realize I am all alone
Among people who only pretend
That they care
I have to make it on my own
I have to take a stand
It won't be easy

Slowly, painfully
I pull myself up
Muscles screaming
Breathing heavy
I fall back through the window
To safety
I will not fail today
I'm not ready to go down
Not this way
Everyone cheers
I have no more fears

I am my own hero
I saved myself
When all hope seemed lost

You're dangling from a ledge
Thirty stories high
Hanging on with one hand
People down below looking to the sky
You hear sirens in the distance
But they won't get here before you fall and land

Tears stream down your face
As your fingers slip
How did you get here
So close to tumbling into space?
No one can help you
Is there anybody out there?
You need a hero today

Don't wait forever
Clinging to that ledge
Super heroes are just for movies
Do yourself a favor
Be your own hero
You have the heart
The soul
The power
Use it

Prove it.

----
I am who I am because I learned how to help myself. I realized waiting for someone to save me wasn't going to happen. To truly get better, you have to accept help from others and from yourself.
Be brave. Be courageous. Be outgoing.
Be a hero. For yourself, and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment